Keep warm with a healthy version of this winter comfort food staple.
Ingredients – Mushroom component
6 cups mixed, sliced mushrooms
4 Shallots, sliced
4 garlic cloves, finely grated
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
Dash of grapeseed or canola oil
Full bunch of thyme
½ cup dry sherry
½ cup chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients – Topping
1 large head of cauliflower, chunked
4 cups of your favorite mashed potatoes, make them a bit drier than normal
2 cups grated Gruyere
Parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top
- Saute mushrooms, shallots and thyme in butter and oil combo until lightly browned.
- Grate garlic in, sprinkle flour over mixture and stir around for a moment. Add a generous amount of pepper and dash of salt.
- Add Sherry and Stock, simmer until mixture is reduced and thickened to a fairly tight state.
- Cool in the bottom of a 9”x11” baking pan (approx. size, you choose!)
- While you are cooking the mushrooms, make the topping .
- Steam the cauliflower (important!), cool and mash with salt and pepper. Add a dash of nutmeg.
- Mix together with your mashed potatoes, grated cheese and 2 eggs.
- Place on top of your mushrooms. Should be a bit more topping than bottom.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees until the bottom is bubbly and the top is browned, about 40 minutes.
This dish can be reheated, make it to the prebake stage for up to 2 days in fridge, bring out to room temp and into over for 60 minutes.
** Note: some liquid may accumulate around the edges from the cauliflower. Just blot with paper towel to remove as much as possible **